Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Memorable Memorial Day Gift

My first cousin recently lost his married woman after she battled a debilitating and deathly lung disease for 13 years. They had been married nearly 49 years. I just happened to be the flower miss in their wedding. Even though I was very young, my remembrance of that particular twenty-four hours is graphic in my earlier memories. Our grandma made my flower miss frock to fit the espousal gown. I remember pretending to be the bride, as all small misses do, because I had the perfect dress.

Needless to say, despite our age differences, my first cousin and I are very close. Our lives have got intertwined on a regular basis. I grew up visiting with him often. He entrusted me with babysitting for his children. His youngest miss was my flower girl in my ain wedding. My boys were ring-bearers in his children's weddings.

My first cousin was a great support to me through of import events in my life. He was the first familiar human face I saw in the crowd when performing at dance narrations and half-time football game games. He made his manner to the football game field to give me a clinch when I was crowned Homecoming Queen. He was the first to see me in the infirmary when I gave birth to each of my children. He patiently explained unwellnesses and growing forms my children were experiencing, as well as giving me advice during the painful, but necessary break-up of my first marriage. My first cousin was the first to offer support and empathy when my father, his uncle, was stricken with and succumbed to malignant neoplastic disease within a short two-month time period. His cheering words and actions have got had an impact on my life even today.

It is because of these things that I desire to honour my dear first cousin this peculiar Memorial Day. I retrieve accompanying my first cousins and their female parent to the graveyard where my grandparents and uncle are buried and placing flowers on the gravesites, so I considered giving my first cousin an agreement of freshly cut flowers in a reusable vase. However, I decided the flowered arrangement, though beautiful, would not be meaningful enough. And, with his married woman no longer here to replace and refill flowers for the vase, it would happen a place in a box in the basement, forgotten and unused.

I also considered giving him a diary so he could enter his deepest, private feelings. I've heard that by putting your ideas on paper, it assists with the bereaved process. He could also utilize this diary to compose about his day-to-day activities involving other household members and friends, to assist him recognize we're involved in his life and attention about him as he have cared about all of us in the past. Although I, myself, would bask such as a gift, I recognize my first cousin probably isn't quite ready to set his feelings on paper. It would still be too emotionally painful for him to make so.

After searching a piece longer, I finally establish the appropriate and memorable Memorial Day gift to give to him...an Italian appeal keychain. My first cousin and his married woman enjoyed a lifespan of felicity each and every summertime at their favourite lake house, so I chose meaningful Italian appeals representing the wildlife from that topographic point which his darling married woman adored. I filled his Italian appeal keychain with appeals consisting of a frog, a hummingbird, a deer, a butterfly on a wildflower, a turtle, and a Jesus Of Nazareth fish. He can be reminded of their happy, healthy modern times every clip he utilizes his keys.

I am very pleased with my determination to give my dear first cousin a meaningful gift this peculiar Memorial Day. It's just a little manner to remind him how very particular he is to me and to allow him cognize he's in my thoughts, now and always.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home